Saturday, June 30, 2012

Malay Women

As defined in street language "hip, cool" is always how I looked at other cultures. Them with varied and vivid colours; gives me chill all over my body. Like there's an electric wave inside me that summons proud. Wishful thinking, "oh how I wish I can be that..this...oh no, maybe that". However as I grew older, I realised that being Malay has its own ameliorate.

We are so rich in culture, food and tradition. But..often we forget where we come from. Malays as we call ourselves are not just descendants of the Golden Era Sultanate, we are also those who inhabits the entire Malay Peninsula. No matter how much I say about the goodness of my ethnicity,  I don't think anyone could ever truly know and understand why. Like I said, loving and caring for your own culture is very hard because its a full time job.

Nonetheless, what fascinates me the most about my race is the traditional ways of Malay Women in their baju kurung. "Sungguh Sopan". Rarely do you see girls today in baju kurung.

Real scenario: "eh, kau suka tak pakai baju kurung?""ala..leceh la, mana suka pakai benda memanaskan badan macam tu. Tak style la pakai baju kurung, Kuno habis..."

Sadly, little do people know that the strength of a Malay Woman lies in her "adab and sopan santun".  The way they carry themselves in the nicely fitted and colourful baju kurung, the way they speak to others with total humility and kindness, the way they make homes safe and comfortable for their family, the way they sacrifice themselves to make others happy and... Even from the way they gossip with neighbours to catch up on worldly news (they say...).

How I wished the wave of modernization didn't kill the life of traditions. I would love to see mothers dressed in kurung like mothers before them. I would want to be able to go everywhere with my baju kurung and sanggul feeling proud of myself for being a "perempuan melayu".

Needless to say, despite viewed as a weak gender - these Malay Women; them with all their kindness and "peradaban" is what makes them mighty and rich. Malay women has smiles that could cure a dying heart, a voice that speaks more angelic than a nightingale and hands like wands creating delicious food. Everyday I pray I would turn into a woman like that - kata mak, "sungguh bersopan santun anak mak". When that day comes, I will be more than proud.

To all Malay Women in the world, don't ever forget what you were made of. We are indeed sugar spice and everything nice...

Hasil Nukilan Sendiri - Nina Liyana.
Note: Collaged picture - myself.

No comments: