Monday, November 21, 2005

Gedong Trip

hello again people of the world! (hah..it sounds like im a president or anything...funny larr!!)

anyways, yesterday, sunday 20th Nov 2005. I finally went back to Gedong after a long time (last time i remembered visiting was, at the age of 9 or 10), "Kampung Keluargaku" that is situated 50km from Kuching City. It was one hilarious journey. There were in total 24 of us and i must say, i cherish every moment we spend with each other. From the delay-daly of what time we should start going, the overtaking each others cars session on the road, funny noises made by our(me and my immediate family) borrowed car (thank god we went and came back in one piece), and also when we arrive Gedong before 12 and finally sat down to eat. We were served sup tulang, kari daging, pucuk pisang (i think!), sambal goreng perut, sayur midin (one kind of paku pakis only found in our region) and white rice. The beef is so tasty and tender because it is freshly slaughtered the night before. I must say its a kind of luxury for the Kampung people to have this kind of food. But the best part of all is, we get sup tulang one big bowl each. You will never get this anywhere else in the world. Seeing their faces(with the "wondering face" per what we are thinking) when we arrived and when we seem to enjoy the food they provided, gives them a sense of relief. I am sure in their little minds they are just waiting for a any of us to complain bout the food or anything else. But till the end, we genuinely felt comfortable and happy. I know i have. Kampung area brings back nostalgic feelings to me.

"I was flipping through the old pictures they brought out after makan, seeing the faces of my young grand-dad and grand-ma, and my older aunties and uncles posing beside their old car, make me feel all sappy AGAIN!? Sometimes i wish i could have that moment alone with my grand-ma, just to say i appreciate her and truly love her. I know she knows i love her dearly but everything i feel now would be different if she was here. All conflicts will be settled without even going far. I like that aura she posesses and taking control of other people's action. Cause in the end i know what she did is for the very best. I miss her...Al-Fatihah to my late Grand-Ma...I love you nek mak!"

On our way home, the car we borrowed made funny noises again. I seriously felt like i was in an airplane cause it sounds like one. So loud. And even as the speedometer goes up till 4ooo but the km/h only goes up only till 70. How funny can that be? And with my dad pretending to be a speedracer, i guess this is a perfect example of a malay phrase,"mimpi tinggal mimpi." Even if we have driven further enough than the rest of the family, they could still catch-up with us. This is what we will encounter when driving an old car! But i love it in many other odd ways. I like the comfy cushion seats and the endless bumpiness feeling i get whenever it goes on rocky roads. So its just another fun experience travelling in an old car towards our kampung. Maybe i would do it again someday. So much energy taken for it. For laughs, jumping, walking on wooden planks and etc. So to sum it up, it was a hell of fun! im glad to be born a Sarawakian.

*My Sarawakk...*

Cheers,
Nina

No comments: